Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Painting in the Snow

Over the weekend our area received a nice early winter present and I was finally able to get out today and do a little painting at one of our local parks.

This morning began with a nice dusting of about an inch of snow over what we already had, but the skies were supposed to clear and be sunny the rest of the day. I wanted to get out before any of it started melting, which it has done quite a bit as of now.

I went to Yellow Creek Park on the east side of Owensboro, KY. They had the access road back to the trail head closed, so I parked and walked in the extra 1/2 mile or so to where the trail begins at an old iron bridge. I took some photos there, but wasn't feeling anything, so I went on down the trail. Snapping photos along the way I finally came to a spot I've sketched in watercolor before (and not to happy with the result) and decided to set up and paint it.

The trail here is elevated a little above the bottom land that is right near the creek and winds through some tall trees and over a little bridge before climbing a slight rise and disappearing over a hill. This spot also has ivy growing over everything and up the trunks of the trees.

Below are the photos of my efforts to capture the scene.





















 A snowflake that was blown from the tree tops and landed on my canvas


















I will need to work on it a bit in the studio and then I will post up the finished work.



 OK, after a little tune up in the studio, here's what I have.
















"Snowy Path In The Woods"
9"x12" oil on linen panel

No comments:

Post a Comment