Thursday, March 7, 2013

Popo Agie Wilderness

I thought I'd show another progression series.

This is on 30"x14" stretched canvas.

The Popo Agie (Po Po Zha) Wilderness is located in the southern end of the Wind River mountain range in Wyoming.

Here, we are looking kinda south/southwest up the drainage of the Middle Fork of the Popo Agie River. I'm not exactly sure, but I believe the peak on the far left is Wind River Peak. At 13,192 ft. it's the highest peak at the southern end of the Winds. Gannett Peak at the northern end (not visible here) is the highest peak in Wyoming, 13,804 ft. 34 ft. taller than the Grand Teton.

OK, enough about the topography of Wyoming.

I started with a quick vine charcoal sketch. Then an underpainting of burnt umber.
You can see I have the image I shot pulled up on the computer monitor. I worked directly from that.



















Here is the sky that I put in.
I'm using a limited palette of Titanium White, Cad. Yellow Pale Hue, Cad. Red Lt. Hue, and Cobalt Blue Hue. My Blue Ridge Oil Colors had not arrived yet. These were Grumbacher Academy colors













Next up was the distant mountain tops.













Then the far side of the canyon and the green blob mass of trees in the foreground.













And finally, where it is as of now. I may need to adjust a few things yet.


No comments:

Post a Comment