Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Two From Wyoming

Not unlike many people, I really like the work of Scott Christensen. He paints and lives in an area of the world that I truly love and his work inspires me to try to paint those areas, even if I have to rely on my photos from previous trips and memories...

Starting with these two paintings I have changed up my color palette and got as close as I could to the one Scott lists on his website. He uses Vasari brand paints and has also a custom set of premixed warm and cool grays. I don't have those....yet! I put my set together from what I already had on hand and a few colors I picked up at my local Dick Blick. I'm giving Utrecht artist's oil a try, along with my Gamblin and Winsor & Newton for the Bright Red (Pyrrol pigment).

So far I'm pretty excited with the results and looking forward to taking them into the field with me and see if I can adapt them to my local landscape.

Both of these are from photos I took on a trip in 2012 with my family to visit Wyoming.

















"Morning Light on Mt. Moran"
9"x12" oil on linen panel
studio






















"From Atop Signal Mountain"
16"x12" oil on linen panel
studio

No comments:

Post a Comment