Friday, February 8, 2013

Gettin' out of the Studio

Needed a break from the studio. So, I grabbed my Winsor & Newton Field Box, a small pad of Sennelier hot press paper, a couple of small brushes, a water bottle, and some paper towels and headed out in my truck. I was feelin' like doing some architectural sketches, so I headed downtown.
























I wanted to limit myself to no more than 20 minutes per sketch. I'm trying to force myself to loosen up and edit out extraneous detail...focus on shapes and values. I also used a pen instead of a pencil. No corrections, just the first impression.

I first drove to the top of the parking garage downtown and pulled into a spot overlooking the river. It's kind of an odd composition.

9 1/2" x 4" watercolor and pen












Next I went over a couple of streets, pulled over and did a sketch of this church tower.

4" x 9 1/2" watercolor and pen



 




















Lastly, I decided to capture some of Owensboro's main riverfront dominating industry. The Owensboro Grain Company.

9 1/2" x 4" watercolor and pen












With that, it was time to head home and meet the kids getting off the bus from school.

No comments:

Post a Comment