Saturday, February 9, 2013

Sketchbook: 9 Feb 2013

 So, I broke down and bought a Moleskine watercolor sketchbook last night. It's roughly 8" x 11" and has some nice heavy paper with a decent texture to it. I've really been needing to do daily sketches to stay loose and it's just good practice. Plus, I've been totally enjoying it.

 Today, with taking my son to his class at WKU again, I took my new sketchbook and put in it's first sketches.

First one was just down the street from the university and I liked the view capturing the three church steeples. But, there are more churches in the vicinity that I couldn't get into the view. Why the churches? I'm not overly religious and I keep hearing that we need more God in our lives. It leaves me wondering what are people talking about? That is a rhetorical question, by the way. I don't want to start a debate about religion. But would ask people to think about it.




















After that one, I headed back up to the university and parked the truck and walked up to where I could get a good vantage point on this cool, lime green house on the hill. I sat across the street and unfortunately in the shade of a tree. It's February and even though the sun was shining, it was still a bit chilly there and was leaving my watercolors to mingle a lot longer than usual because they wouldn't dry. Just another challenge to the process...which I like.




















I still had a little bit of time before I had to pick up Jake, so I walked over near his building and sketched the planetarium. It's only about a 5 minute sketch and there were some younger kids out there running around with these long, multicolored streamers...I didn't have time to put any color to it. Maybe later here in the studio?




















I love doing these sketches and think my work can only improve from doing them. We'll see how fast I can fill it up. I better start setting aside funds for another one...or a few.

No comments:

Post a Comment