Saturday, February 2, 2013

Plein Air Work From Today

So, on Saturdays this month, we take our 9 yr. old son to a class on the campus of Western Kentucky University at The Center For Gifted Studies. While he is learning about tornadoes, hurricanes, and other weather related phenomena, I set about to find something to paint.

My first place was at the Wheldon Peete Park boat ramp on the Barren River. It was a cold and overcast day with intermittent sprinkles of rain. Given those conditions, I sat in my truck and painted this scene. A gentleman was indeed standing there fishing. I never saw him land anything. I was here for about one hour.

It's 7"x5" on Arches 140lb. cold press paper.

The first photo is from my phone from my seat.
























Next is the finished painting after I got home and made some adjustments just going from memory.



















After I finished at that spot, I went back up to the university and pulled down a lane that I always thought would make a decent painting. I only had about  45 minutes to work on this one before I had to close down and pick up Jake.

Once again the next photo is from my seat. I wasn't able to get the scene in, unfortunately.

























Same as the other one, I did some touch ups here in the studio. Here is the result.
























I really like painting plein air, my work takes on a totally different look and it's a really good challenge.

Expect to see more in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment