Monday, January 6, 2014

Cape Cod Virtual Paintout

If you haven't heard about it or seen it yet, a fellow Kentucky artist, Bill Guffey, started a very cool blog with a very cool idea. Use Google Maps Street View feature to create works of art from all over the world. The blog is very near it's 5 year anniversary and you can visit it to get more info, see the extensive amount of artwork that has been created, and better yet-participate yourself.

For me, this is my first submission to the Virtual Paintout. I've used Street View in the past and actually one of the works I created was given a purchase award at the 2013 Owensboro Art Guild show at the Owensboro Museum of Fine Art.

This month the Virtual Paintout is focused on Cape Cod, MA. and I was thinking lighthouses. So, I snooped around the map until I found one I liked and grabbed a screenshot, made me a cup of hot tea, sat down with my sketchbook, pen, and watercolors and whipped out the following painting.

Here is the screenshot I worked from. This is the Nobska Point Light, by the way. Near Woods Hole, MA.



















And here is the finished artwork in my Moleskine watercolor sketchbook.


No comments:

Post a Comment