Wednesday, January 1, 2014

New Years Day

Today is New Years day 2014 and I decided to kick this year off right, with a painting.

I drove out to Carpenters Lake in eastern Daviess Co, KY and found this spot by the boat ramp. I liked the sycamore hanging out over the water, so I positioned my easel on the dock and went to work. I also liked all the muted color, which forced me to work on my greys. All mixed from my three primaries. I have no black on my palette.

I spent about an hour and a half before the light and sky started changing too much to keep going there. I packed up and came back to my studio here at the house and finished it up.

"Carpenters Lake"
8"x10" oil on linen panel

Updated, 4Jan2014
I wasn't happy with the first go. So I made some slight changes. I did away with the reflection of the tree trunk and made a small spit of land to give the tree an anchor and some context.




















Below is what I finished on the day at the lake.








No comments:

Post a Comment